Okera has announced Okera for Snowflake, a new software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering for the Snowflake Data Cloud that will be available exclusively on AWS in 2022. The company also announced that the latest version of its flagship solution, the Okera Dynamic Access Platform (ODAP), now has enhanced end-to-end native integration with Snowflake.
Okera for Snowflake offers the same powerful data authorization and auditing capabilities as ODAP, but as a SaaS application packaged and priced for Snowflake. The solution is designed to remove technical complexity while still delivering exceptional data security performance. The solution empowers all data stakeholders to collectively build dynamic data privacy and security policies, automatically enforce those policies, and continuously monitor access to sensitive data.
Both Okera for Snowflake and ODAP integrate natively with Snowflake in a way that eliminates the trade-offs, complexity, and slowness associated with other approaches to data access management. Data teams can deliver business value faster and with greater confidence, while data security and privacy teams can validate appropriate security mandates and implement data privacy regulations as intended.
“We are proud to partner with Snowflake and support their vision for the Data Cloud. Okera simplifies policy management so data teams can provide fast and secure access to sensitive data,” said John Marchese, Okera’s Vice President of Global Alliances & Partner Sales Channels. “Okera’s dynamic instant policy authorization, combined with Snowflake’s native push-down policy enforcement, delivers a superior user experience that makes it easy for organizations to handle data responsibly.”
“Our customers have made it clear that data governance is now a top priority for their organizations and a key requirement for the data platforms they invest in,” said Tarik Dwiek, Head of Technology Alliances at Snowflake. “Our partnership with Okera enables us to deliver the governance capabilities our customers need. We continue to be impressed with the vision and execution of the Okera team and the value they deliver to our mutual customers.”
Okera’s data authorization platform, with fine-grained access control, enables DataOps.live to ensure that each data pipeline reliably and consistently applies the agreed-upon data security tags to sensitive data elements to ensure the correct tokenization or masking occurs from within Snowflake. snowflake. Justin Mullen, CEO of DataOps.live. “This new integration ensures that Okera will always prevent inappropriate access to confidential, personally identifiable and regulated data as the data security tags are applied and reapplied every time each pipeline is run, be it in development, test or production environments. . Human error removed!”
Okera’s support for native Snowflake capabilities includes:
- Snowflake Native SQL Syntax – Okera provides full end-to-end support for the Snowflake native SQL syntax, bringing the full power of the Snowflake Data Cloud to all user queries.
- Snowflake Worksheets and Snowsight: Okera’s data authorization capabilities allow data management teams to grant faster and more confident users the right to run native Snowflake queries directly in the Snowflake web interface.
- Snowflake Connectors: Combined with support for Snowflake’s native SQL syntax, Okera works with native JDBC/ODBC connectors for the Snowflake Data Cloud. Native connectivity protects investments in business dashboards, reports, and advanced analytics built using BI and other third-party SQL tools.
- Snowpark Accelerated: Okera uses user-defined functions (UDFs) to implement data security and privacy transformations, such as dynamic data masking and tokenization. Joint customers can also take advantage of the full Java programming language to create their own UDFs for custom data security use cases and to increase speed at runtime.
- Snowflake object tagging: As part of the recently introduced Snowflake Data Governance Accelerated Program, Snowflake enables users to apply business context tags that identify data objects as sensitive, PII, or belonging to a cost center. These tags can be automatically synchronized with Okera for simple, fast and scalable policy making and dynamic policy enforcement.
- Snowflake access history: Okera may use Snowflake’s access history data to incorporate Snowflake’s own auditing capabilities into the Okera platform to provide additional security context for the use of Snowflake data, including which tags are used and by whom. Okera makes it possible to view data residing within Snowflake and on other data platforms.